05 Jan Beginners Drawing the Face in Colour Pencil 2-Day workshop with Manuela Pilz
Event Phone: 0431 945 151
Drawing the Face in Colour Pencil
September 24, 2022 - September 25, 2022
9:30 am - 4:30 pm
This is a new workshop from Manuela Pilz which will introduce the colour pencil as a unique way to study features of the face. Colour pencil is a fun and beautiful medium for drawing. It has a soft texture and when using just one colour it creates whimsical and modern interpretations of your subject.
On the first day, we will spend time doing some simple exercises to help us show the different tones and forms on some of the most important features of the face. When everyone is ready, Manuela will introduce the class to the essential tools that will enable you to draw up the head from the side and from straight on, considering proportions through continuous demonstrations and guidance.
Good quality reference images will be supplied. Time will be given to explaining the process of choosing a good reference image for a tonal drawing to help you choose reference images in the future.
- 4 sheets Quill A3 paper or good quality cartridge paper
- 3 pencils of your personal choice Faber-Castell Polychromos colour pencils. Manuela likes working with dark colour pencils in blues, reds, purples, or even greens. Examples Manuela recommends are Red Violet, Indanthrene Blue, India Red, Caput Mortuum, Bluish Turquoise, Helio Turquoise, Red Violet Purple, or Burnt Carmine.
- Manuela does NOT recommend Prismacolor as they are too soft but Derwent or Faber-Castell work as they are a little harder.
- Graphite Pencil Staedtler Lumograph 2H, HB, 2B, 4B
- Notepad to take notes for class.
- Blending stumps.
- Tombow eraser
- Kneadable eraser
- Hard eraser
- Good quality pencil sharpener.
The following materials will be supplied by Manuela
- Measuring sticks
- Photocopies of notes
Morning and Afternoon Tea provided
Ample parking out the front of studio.